Stretham Parish Council is planning a new Village Centre for the community.
Village Centre Update – July 2021
The Council has agreed to progress the Village Centre project through to planning permission, based on the Design Brief, the Plantation Gate location and the sketch plan provided by the Architects. The Village Centre Project Group will continue to report project progress to full Council meetings.
The Village Centre Project Group will be taking into account possible concerns of local residents, including access routes to the building and environmental concerns and will address these as the project progresses.
Manor Farm / Planation Gate proposal Benefits
- Strengthens and supports the relationship with SWCLT
- The location and design allows a good sized Village Centre, with a flexible building able to support a number of different functions
- Potential costs reduction through building work synergies and site acquisition
- Right next to planned location for the new Surgery, allowing sharing of car parking
- Costs reduction through not requiring a caretaker flat
There is an alternative location option – the Recreation Ground – but this location does not have the benefits of the Plantation Gate site and has a number of issues :
- The site would occupy a large part (around a third) of the Recreation Ground, including at least one of the current football pitches with a big reduction of the public green space
- Disruption during building work
- No synergy with other buildings (e.g. surgery, work units) and building work
- Traffic and parking issues along Short Road
- Meeting with SWCLT to discuss/agree Heads of Terms – planned for July
- Followed by final Agreement on land
- Meeting with Laragh homes to discuss/agree Heads of Terms
- Followed by Agreement Project management and initial view on costs
- Regular communications out to Stretham via Website and Newsletter
- Pre-planning meeting with ECDC
- Architects to progress designs to detailed stage
- Initial meeting of Village Centre Management Committee
- This is the group responsible for running of the Village Centre after opening
- Preparation for Planning Permission
Target Project Timings :
- Planning permission Oct 2021
- Building Work Jan 2022 – Dec 2022
Village Centre Update – December 2020
We have now engaged in discussions with architects for the project so that we can start the design process.
We are also progressing discussions on potential locations for the Village Centre and have started to narrow the options.
In addition to the Communities Capital Fund award, we are looking for other sources of funding to help finance the building.
Village Centre Update – November 2020
The Project Group responsible for the design and build of the Village Centre has now started work and has agreed Terms of Reference.
The Project Group has set out initial governance and financial processes. We are also working on the next level of project costings and considering additional funding options.
Immediate priorities are to progress discussions on suitable locations for the Village Centre and to engage architects for the project.
Village Centre Update – October 2020
At the Council meeting on 6th October, the Council agreed an initial action plan covering consultation with village groups, communications plans and fundraising.
The Council agreed to form 2 groups to progress the project :
- The Project Group will be responsible for the design and build of the Village Centre, including the contracts, legal, financial and project governance. It will regularly report to full Council on project progress.
- The Centre Management Committee will be responsible for the village engagement and the long-term success of the Village Centre after completion and will include representatives from village groups who will be active users of the Village Centre.
The 2 groups will work closely together to ensure that the Village Centre meets the needs of Stretham and that it is a long-term benefit to the community.
The Council also reviewed the potential sites for the Village Centre and provided guidance to the Project Group on the preferred locations and pros & cons of each. We will progress the options and aim to conclude an agreement for the site so that we can progress to designs.
For future communications, as well as the Newsletter updates, we intend to have a Facebook page and a section on the Website with information about the project.